I'm going out of town tomorrow morning, so I wanted to put this up as early in the day as possible. It's the quiz you've been waiting for...Red Sox trivia! As I write this, the Sawx are leading the Evil Empire (that's the Yankees just in case you've been napping in recent years) by 2.5 games, and we can only hope they will hold it going into the last two months of the season.
As for the BBQ, the standings are as follows after last week's quiz:
+Steve Smyth--41 points (Perfect score Steve!)
+Sue Pelletier--27 points (You missed one of the questions and didn't get the bonus as a result. Sorry!)
+Kimberly Mosely-10 points (You didn't participate this week and I'm disappointed!)
Remember that responses to this week's quiz are due on Thursday, July 27 at 2 pm EDT. Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org as well as any questions you may have. The basic information you need to know about The Big Boston Quiz plus last week's questions and answers can be found by clicking the Continue link below this week's questions.
The subject of this week's quiz is the Boston Red Sox. We have 15 trivia questions, each worth one point. The bonus question will be scored on merit by yours truly and partial points may be allocated.
BIG BOSTON QUIZ #5 (quiz worth 15 points, plus a 10 point bonus question)
1. By what name are the partitioned-off bullpens in right field at Fenway known?
2. Which Red Sox player hit an 8th-inning pinch hit homerun in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series to tie the game against Cinncinnati?
3. In what year did the team change to the nickname Red Sox and from what nickname was it changed?
4. What is the message inscribed in Morse Code on the manual scoreboard in left field at Fenway?
5. How many times have the Red Sox won more than 100 games and lost more than 100 games?
6. On July 14, 1956, Mel Parnell accomplished something that no Red sox player had achieved in nearly 33 years. What was it?
7. How many different Red Sox players have won the American League Most Valuable Player award?
8. By what unusual margin did the Red Sox lose the American League East Division title in 1972 and to which team?
9. What important Fenway Park record is marked by a red seat in the stadium's right field bleachers?
10. Who wrote "Why Red Sox Fans Make for the Best Poets?"
11. What did Manny Ramirez accomplish in 2004 that no Red Sox player had ever done before?
12. In which season did the Red Sox first break the 2 million fan mark at home?
13. On September 2, 2001, the Red Sox narrowly avoided being on the losing end of a perfect game for the first time in team history. Who was the opposing pitcher and team, and which then-Red Sox player broke it up?
14. Who was the first person to hit a ball over the Green Monster?
15. Who is the only player in Major League history to pinch hit for Ted Williams, Carl Yastrezmski and Roger Maris?
BONUS QUESTION: In 50 words or less, provide your explanation of why the Red Sox couldn't win a World Series in the 86 years between 1918 and 2004? Please don't copy your response from Wikipedia or other Web resources. Please share your own thoughts. I will allocate points on the basis of brevity, content and style.
Continue reading "Big Boston Quiz #5" »